Sunday, March 11, 2012

Dok Bua

Dok Bua Thai Kitchen
411 Harvard Street
Brookline, MA 02446
(617) 232-2955

The first time I ever went to Dok Bua was back in 2001 or 2002. One of my co-workers at the time said she wanted to introduce me to the best Thai restaurant in the city. I was immediately intrigued.

"It's in a grocery store," she added, smiling.

That only intrigued me more. How was the best Thai restaurant in Boston in a grocery store?

She was right, however. Dok Bua, now a full restaurant, started as mostly an Asian grocery store. The owners had sectioned off one little section with about 4 tables for customers who wanted to eat, but otherwise, it was a grocery store. After eating the food, I wondered why they didn't just open a restaurant. The food was the best Thai food I had ever eaten.

Most of their other customers must have agreed with me because within a few years, Dok Bua became a full-fledged restaurant, and to this day, it is, in my humble opinion, the best Thai restaurant in the city. Every plate comes out hot, and the portions are more than adequate, even the combination plates. Each dish I've tried, from the spring rolls to the pad thai to the pad-prik-khing is flavored almost perfectly, and I always leave satisfied. The service is fast, and the staff is generally friendly and attentive. One of my favorite plates is the Puck-Boong-Fire-Daeng, stir fried chinese watercress. It's seasoning is perfect with rice or noodles, and I can eat it all day long. It's one of the reasons I continue to go to Dok Bua.

I have since tried many other Thai restaurants, and Dok Bua still remains my favorite. Whenever friends/relatives are visiting, I either take them here, or recommend they go here. I can confidently guarantee that everyone will like it.

1 comment: